This time last week, I'd never heard of WordPress. Six months ago I started mucking around with blogger, but found the lack of categories a bit of a drag, really. And I guess because I wasn't really happy that things weren't just the way that I wanted them, I kinda lost a bit of interest. So from setting up a wordpress.com hosted site, creating a new blog and loving WordPress in the process, I could see that the tools that I wanted were finally at my fingertips. All I now needed was my own domain some place to host it and then I could get cracking with my own fully customisable installation of WordPress.
I timed it well too. WordPress 2.0 was just officially released so I spared myself of having to upgrade.
I would like to thank a few people too. From people who have taken the trouble to write up their experiences with getting everything working, to others who are publishing themes and styles and plug-ins and all sorts of wonderful stuff.
- cre8d design - Rachel Cunliffe has just published a tutorial on installing WordPress 2.0 - a day too late for me :-/ - and runs a web studio which focuses on Blog Design. Rachel also has a neat toolkit which I'm sure I will find handy too.
- famfamfam - Mark James, a part-time web developer has produced some wonderful icons. I'm using only a couple...
- Binary Bonsai - for the fantastic K2 theme for WordPress 2.0
- Improv, Pastence - Dan has created some great schemes for the K2 theme.
- Christine Davis - Christine has created Ultimate Tag Warrior a magnificent plugin for tagging posts, and linking both locally and offsite, plus a whole buch of stuff that is going to take me a while to get across.
- RandomByte - for FAlbum plugin that allows me to hook into my Flickr account - great, great, great stuff.
- Andreas Linde - for explaining how to get FAlbum plugin working in K2 with WordPress 2, and for modding and sharing the code so that we can do it too!
There have been a bunch of other inspirational sites as well, (and we can't forget the WordPress wiki).
Anyway - off to add some more photos now!